Sunday, September 13, 2015

1st week. 13.9.2015

Hey it's sem three! I thought it will be a relax one since it is just the beginning of the sem. However, there are already many assignments, lab report and tutorial waiting for me. Besides than academic, there is one internal chinese debate competition and hot science exhibition for my weekends. Let's talk about today's hot science exhibition at Petroscience, KLCC.

In the morning I went to KLCC with Megat (Sorry Dr we were late). After that the person in charge brief us for the exhibition. She asked us to try using  simple words to explain the scientific term in microbiology for example pathogen, vaccines and so on as some of the visitors might not from science background. Also, she gave each of us the free ticket for the admission to 'Illusion', the new exhibition which talks about optical illusion. Sometimes the thing that you see and what your brain interpret might not be the same and therefore you will not believe from what you observe.

Basically there are three types of virus, Ebola virus, Corona virus and Bacteriophage. A memory game is conducted in the middle of the exhibition as well to attract the attention of kids. (The memory cards contain the shape of bacteria!) From 10.30 am to 12.00pm, there are only a few visitors coming in and we start explaining to them. After observing my explanation, one of the person in charge gave me feedback that sometimes in stead of just telling them, I should question them first to have two way of communication. At the beginning when the visitors came I will just tell them 'this is Ebola virus', but then after that I will start of with ' Have you heard about Ebola?' 'Do you know MERS, the middle east respiratory syndrome? It is actually caused by Corona virus!' I found it is useful as some of the people may start thinking and wanted to know more. The person in charge told me that Malaysian nowadays are just listening and keep quiet, but most of the time we wouldn't know whether they really understand or not. Thank you and I appreciate the feedback. :)

From what I observed, most of the visitors are just nodding their head and walk away without asking more about the virus until I met with one Malay family. They are very friendly and three of them are very interested about virus. The daughter of the family studied human science in Cyberjaya, therefore sometimes she helped me to explain to her parents. For instance, she told her parents that the virus is either reproduce through DNA or RNA and so on. I was so glad to meet with them as there are not much people who really concern about the current issues like MERS and Ebola and wanted to know more about the causes which is by the tiny microorganism that we cant even see or feel in our surrounding. When I am explaining on something, the family will listen and tell me what they know as well. They also ask me some questions like how is the disease transmitted and is there any cure for it. After that, the aunty shook my hand and said thank you. Talking to them is really brighten up my days and I like them very much.

* Megat and I went to the Illusion exhibition, It was amazing and sometimes it make me couldn't believe what I just saw! One of the example is there is a black dot in the middle of picture, when we focus looking at it the colour bars around the dot will fade away and disappear. When you blink your eyes, the colour bars will appear again. There is also a jar where they can put the thing bigger than the opening of the jar into it. Sometimes we just wonder how can it happen. It was indeed an eye opening one!

 How I introduce these virus
Ebola virus
  • Early stages - headache, muscle pain, sore throat
  • Later stages - Kidney and liver failure, Vomiting and diarrhoea
  • Fruit bat is the first organism that transmit the virus.
  • Human are infected by closed contact with the blood, secretions of infected animal.( For example, the people ate the infected bat or the fruit that bitten by the bat in Africa because it is a rural area and they stay in the forest)
  • Human and human transmission happen through close contact of broken skin or wound.
  • It has an outbreak in Africa.
  • No cure for Ebola disease 
Corona virus
  • Corona virus introduce MERS and SARS (respiratory disease)
  • In latin word, 'corona' is known as crown and the naming is based on the appearance.
  • Human and human transmission is occurred through closed contact. Normally the health care workers have higher chance to get infected as they spend long time taking care the patients.
  • It is the most common causes for common cold.
Bacteriophage
  • Virus that kill harmful microorganism
  • It is better than antibiotics as antibiotics kill all the bacteria regardless it is good or bad while bacteriophage only infect specific harmful microorganism
  • They kill the bacteria through reproducing in the cell, and finally the cell breaks.
****One of the visitors asked me, where will the bacteriophage goes after it burst? I said it will stay in the body, am I right? >,<

No comments:

Post a Comment